INNOVATION AND WATER CARE
We take care of the quality and quantity of water for users in the basins where our operations are located.
Our water management focuses on four pillars:
1. WE PROTECT THE QUALITY WATER THAT WE RELEASE TO THE ENVIRONMENT
- We systematically monitor and analyze the water quality in all our operations through accredited laboratories.
- We install water treatment systems for our operations and the communities of our workers.
- Adequate management of mining waste to protect the water quality in the basins where we operate.
- Efficient and proactive risk management to avoid incidents or release of leaching solutions, which may affect natural water bodies.
2. WE IMPROVE THE EFFICIENCY IN THE USE OF WATER.
- We optimize the use of water thanks to high-tech devices and innovative systems. Thus, we reduce water consumption and increase its recirculation, prioritizing the production processes in which its use is greater. An example is the expansion of Toquepala in Peru, where production doubled, without using more fresh water.
- We guarantee sustainability continuity in the water availability, in the aquifers or underground and/or surface water sources on which our operations depend.
3. WE COLLABORATE WITH OTHER ACTORS IN THE MANAGEMENT OF THE BASINS IN WHICH WE WORK.
- We protect the water availability and quality in the places where we operate, collaborating with the communities in the efficient use of the resource.
- The solution of water problems is sought, aimed at obtaining socially equitable, environmentally sustainable, economically efficient and politically viable results.
- We promote studies and technical assistance, investments in irrigation infrastructure and projects to take advantage of the potential of the basins we share.
4. MANAGE ANY RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH WATER MANAGEMENT AT OUR OPERATIONS.
- Most of our tailings dams are built using the downstream method, with borrowed materials, considering return periods of 10,000 years, overflow channels, stormwater diversion infrastructure and contingency systems.
- We promote water harvesting programs to reduce soil erosion and evapotranspiration, which allows us to improve water capture.
IN 2020, WE REUSED
of the water consumed in our Southern Copper Corporation operations.
DURING THE LAST FIVE YEARS, WE INVESTED
in works and projects to improve the quality and volume of water used for human consumption and productive activities of our neighbors.
THE TOTAL WATER CONSUMPTION OF FIRST USE PER TON OF COPPER PRODUCED DECREASED BY
IN 3 YEARS (APPROXIMATELY 16 M3 PER TON).
of our operating units have zero wastewater discharges.